What to Expect During a Veterinary Dental Cleaning
We strive to make your pet’s dental cleaning as comfortable, stress free, and pain free as possible. Our veterinary team is available to answer your questions, but here are a few highlights regarding your pet’s dental cleaning:
- Your pet can be dropped off between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m.
- Blood work and a physical exam are performed in the morning after your pet arrives for your pet’s health and safety.
- The procedure is performed late morning to early afternoon. It includes ultrasonic scaling of the entire tooth surface, including under the gum line to remove plaque, tarter, and bacteria. Then, the teeth and gums are cleansed with a polish similar to what you receive at your dentist.
- If extractions are required, the doctor will assess the best method for removal, which may include drilling.
- Your pet will receive an antibiotic and pain injection if needed and a nail trim.
- The veterinarian will call you with an update after the cleaning, and inform you regarding the details of your pet’s procedure and post-operative recovery.
- Your pet can be picked up after 4 p.m. and prior to close. You will leave with instructions regarding aftercare and medications (if needed).
- The veterinarian will also schedule a pick up time for you, typically between 3:30p-5:30p. You will leave with instructions regarding aftercare and medications (if needed).